RE: Style Sheets and Level 2 Conformance

3.3 Use style sheets to control layout and presentation. [Priority 2] (
Checkpoint 3.3)
Core Techniques:
Structure vs. Presentation
HTML Techniques:
Emphasis
CSS Techniques:
Text instead of images
CSS Techniques:
Text formatting and position
CSS Techniques:
Layout, positioning, layering, and alignment

That text seems clear that W3C expects us to lay out our pages with style
sheets and not tables where tables are not used for their intended purpose.
Given that it is so hard to make pages work in browsers that don't support
style sheets fully, I don't see how it is practical to conform if we want
to have anything other than a very simple layout because anything more
would look so bad in some browsers.

Jim

James Homme, Manager, Assistive Technology, Bender Consulting Services,
Inc., (412) 787-8567.
jhomme@benderconsult.com. http://www.benderconsult.com
Competitive Jobs Mean Freedom.

                    "Hewitt,
                    Denise"              To:     "'james.homme@highmark.com'" <james.homme@highmark.com>
                    <Denise.Hewitt       cc:
                    @idea.com>           Subject:     RE: Style Sheets and Level 2 Conformance

                    10/31/2001
                    03:17 PM

Our biggest problems were trying to get stuff to work in IE 4. The thing
is,
the guidelines are misleading in the way they are written. You *dont* have
to abandon tables completely - you just have to make sure that the way a
voice or text browser presents them makes sense. We decided in the end to
do
as best we could for a AA & Section 508 compliancy.

Which specific checkpoints were you having issues with?

Denise