RE: How to Complain to a Webmaster

Kynn, I agree with (as usual) about 90% of what you say below. It's
important that we recognize that the problem is one of ignorance and
misunderstanding on the part of designers rather than malice, and
provide as much help as we can to correct the problems we see.

The one quibble I have is one your last point about 'escalation'. I
don't think there's anything wrong with going public about the
inaccessibility of a major site provided it's done with tact and without
ad hominem attacks on the webmasters. In fact, I think it's crucial that
escalation in one form or another does occur.

Clearly the ultimate goal of communities like this is to make
accessibility something that designers naturally take into consideration
when building a site, just as they do browser compatibility today. The
only way that's going to happen is if the lack of accessibility at key
sites is publicized. When web designers (and the people who hire them)
read articles on CNET, SlashDot, MSNBC, etc. about high-profile sites
having massive accessibility problems, they'll not only become more
aware of the existence of the problem and the resources available to
solve it, they'll want to make darn sure they aren't the next site to
get profiled.

Of course, I'm not arguing for this community to becomes a band of
crusading harpies denouncing evil webmasters for building inaccessible
sites - we both recognize that the problem is more a lack of awareness
than malice - but it's only by making the public aware of these
problems, 'escalating' to use your term, that we'll avoid designers
building inaccessible sites in the first place. It's great that you're
willing to provide free accessibility consulting to the SLC site, but
that's not really a scalable solution in the long run, is it? We need to
prevent these sites being built this way in the first place.

- Ben Canning