Re: ASCII Ribbon Campaign

At 11:12 AM 10/30/2001 , Phillip Pi wrote:
>Kynn, is there a freeware version or even an open source version? I don't
>want to use it if it is limited (e.g. short amount of time). Thanks.

Nope.  Most screenreaders cost big $$$ -- Jaws, for example is
something like $700 or $800, or $1200 or so if you're using Windows
NT/2000.  You can find things like IBM's Home Page Reader for a more
affordable $150 -- and I recommend it to EVERY professional web
developer -- but I don't know if it will read your email messages
for you.  (It might!)

You can try TV Raman's EmacSpeak, which is an Emacs-based application
(and which is free and might even be open source) to read web pages
out loud and maybe even other stuff.  It's also notable for having
aural CSS support, but I haven't gotten it running myself so I can't
vouch for it.

Many operating systems have the ability to speak things, if you figure
out how to make it work -- e.g. recent versions of Windows, or MacOS
for a long time now.  Actually getting content of an email message
read out loud may be tricky, though, as these "mini-screenreaders"
are quite limited in functionality.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>