RE: OT (slightly): Salt Lake '02 Webmaster: Inaccessible site

At 07:08 AM 10/30/2001 , Hewitt, Denise wrote:
>  Actually, it was the Sydney Olympics that got me into accessibility. At the
>time, there was a story posted on Slashdot about how IBM wanted some
>exhorbitant amount of money to go back and add ALT tags. (it got a LOT of
>press at the time, from what I remember).

As a factual correction, it was rather that IBM wanted some large
amount of money go to back and make the site accessible.  Let's not
oversimplify things to say we _only_ mean ALT attributes when we
are really talking about overall site accessibility.

IBM's figures seemed steep, but honestly speaking, not TOO steep
for the kind of work involved and the kind of rates IBM can
command.  The real lesson to learn was that all that expense can
be AVOIDED if you do it right from the start.  Retrofitting _is_
terribly expensive and anyone who tells you otherwise is either
sadly misinformed, or lying to you for dogmatic reasons.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison