RE: OT (slightly): Salt Lake '02 Webmaster: Inaccessible site

Raising of issues: The WAI IG's on-going discussion of technical and
implementation issues related to Web accessibility helps drive the agendas
of other WAI groups. In addition, WAI working groups occasionally escalate
discussion on key questions to WAI IG for additional comment and reflection
as needed
This is from the charter of the WAI.

I think the state of a major public site is an issue related to Web
Accessibilit and may claim to belong in this group.

Personal abuse of a web designer does not however in this case a Web
Designer has apparently replied presumably on behalf of his organisation
that accessibility was not an important issue
>What can I say, I really think the majority of our users are very
>satisfied. We recently identified many opportunities to make the site more
>accessible, but to be honest, a lot of the improvements in web technology
>in the last 10 years are due to things that seem to not conform with W3C
>accessibility guidelines.

My view is that the discussion of major sites as examples of inaccessibility
issues is valid.  The Olympic Games Committee sets the standard they
require...If their decisions make it inaccessible they must bear the
consequences.

Accessibility is not something to be given to us if and when a site owner
decides it is worth throwing a few crumbs our way.

Harry Woodrow