Re: MS Office and accessibility

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Scarlett Julian (ED) wrote:

Then there are those who DON'T use the graphic interface browser.  or
access the web via a NON microshaft product, and there are an awful lot of
us out there.

right now I am accessing this site via a Unix shell and using PINE as the
e-mailer....not a snowballs chance that I could use your site, then add in
a firewall that automatically rejects and deletes any and all attachments
of any type.

many people operate in a highly secure enviorenment.  Access should not be
browser dependent, nor should it require proprietary software of any kind,

Bob

> I have a site that uses IEs ability to open MS Office files ( mainly Excel
> and Word ) within the browser window and am having trouble persuading the
> owners of the information that this is bad practice and the info should be
> served up as html with proprietary file formats only available as downloads.
> Could anyone on this list tell me whether opening up a xls file will cause
> problems for visually impaired users and/or those using non-GUI browsers? I
> want to persuade them to abandon their way of doing it in favour of what I
> consider to be a better way and any arguments I can use would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> tia
> Julian
>
> Julian Scarlett
> Web Design & Document Management System Officer
> PPU
> Education Directorate
> Sheffield City Council
> 0114 2735721
> mob 07904914976
> julian.scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk
>
> The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks