Re: Section 508

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Asif wrote:

> I work at a State University. We had a discussion today whereby our IT dept.
> said that Sec. 508 does not apply to faculty creating web based class notes.
> They felt it only applied to a researcher that received a federal grant. I
> have always thought that all State Institutions were obligated by now to
> comply (since they are inevitably tied to federal resources), "unless they
> could prove undue burden"

I'm not a lawyer but I would think that it would need to be accessible
since it is being made for students who may have gov subsidies, also is
the server being supplied or maintained by any federal source of funding.

Besides which if they get into the habit of just doing it right, they
can't get into trouble later if say a student with a disability is in
their class.

just my opinion, take it at face value

Bob

> Would appreciate any info and references.
> Thank you.
>
> Asif Daya
> Assistant Professor
> College of Health Professions
> Florida Gulf Coast University
> (941) 590-7535
> adaya@fgcu.edu

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks