Re: Bandwidth Still is a Real Issue

and here in the good ol' usa as well.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: Bandwidth Still is a Real Issue

"David Woolley":
> For those on the list that insist that site bloat isn't an
accessibility
> issue, I've just been on a tour of mainland China and I found that my
> chosen roaming email provider (Freeserve) varied between the almost
> unuseable (finally got the home page and service after trying for
three
> quarters of an hour) and totally unuseable (never got the home page).
> I got some work done on Demon even when the primary one was a
writeoff,
> but Demon don't allow sending and I had intended to have my home
machine
> clear that mailbox, except for a power failure that stopped it.

Firstly, you should've had a number, including a good local one, I
forget
who I was using when in India, but it made a big difference, the routes
back to the UK (or US) aren't great, but the bandwidth is often
available
to local sites (depending on the initial link.)

> This means that a large proportion of the worlds population is being
> excluded from such services for a significant part of the time.

One thing to note, that in my experience in India, Cafe's were worse
than
home users, they had win98 connection sharing a single 56k line across a
number of machines, often oddly configured, playing with their
configurations could make big differences.  When you met a clueful cafe,
or a single "home" user machine, the connection was often much more
similar to your UK 56k experience.

> Once the bandwidth was there, machine performance wasn't an issue, and
> there seemed to be a Windows/IE mono-culture.

Pirate of course...

Bandwidth is still an accessibility issue in this country (UK) in any
case, I see no reason to invoke China etc.  when you can't justify it in
the UK.

Jim.