Re: What instead of click here?

What instead of click here?(Plain text is normally the appropriate format
for posting to mailing lists.)

>I am under the impression that the 'Click Here' text that often appears
>on alt tags is a big no-no. However, if within text the following were
>appear:
>
>Please click [here] if you want to ask Michel a question.
>(where the here part is a clickable link)
>
>Would this constitute a no-no in the same way as the alt tag wording
>does, or is everyone happy that this type of copy is okay on a site?
>Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

It's useless, the word "here" provides no information about where the
link is going, you need the context to get the links, many browsers
(including dominant ones like IE5.5) provide users the useful tool of
having a list of links in the page, it's a quick way of navigating, if
the link text provides enough context of where they are going.  I use my
links list regularly, and 20 here's are pretty useless.

>If anyone out there does not like this type of wording on a website,
>what would you suggest as an alternative. I know I am a copywriter,
>but I want to get this right!

[Ask Michel a question].   all as a link, it's clearer, it has everything
you need even if out of context of the page, and doesn't include any
device specific ideas.

Jim.