RE: Importance of Narrative (Was article: The beauty of single columned sequential text")

I unintentionally posted my response to David's note to him alone, and since
Karl's points have a lot in common, I'll take the opportunity to do a bit of
rephrasing to cover both...

Ok, forget hypertext for now.

I agree that in many cases the single column approach will lead to
considerably more accessible material - but that doesn't seem to be the
motivation in the article. The argument is clearly given : "The trouble is
when you do that [example using 3 columns], you lose control over the
sequence in which visitors gather and absorb the information.". This is
about controlling the order in which the material is accessed, not its
accessibility. The final statement reiterates : "If you want your visitors
to take a particular course of action, use a single, central column of text
to drive that action."

I cannot disagree that narrative, (textual and spoken) can be very
powerful, - but I'm sure I'd get a few objections if I said "If you want
your visitors to take a particular course of action, use a single *audio
file* to drive that action."

I simply don't think that (generally speaking) one should approach the
delivery of information, particularly on the web, with a view to imposing a
structure (such as the sequence) on the data to get the visitor to take a
particular course of action. I've nothing at all against single-column
material (I certainly prefer it in novels), but the online media support a
vast multitude of different approaches - ideally one would always encounter
the most appropriate for the particular information and target audiences
(which would of course mean a vast improvement in accessibility). Ok, this
isn't likely in the real world, but I hope there's a little more imagination
around than merely falling back on single column text.

Cheers,
Danny.

---
Danny Ayers