RE: article: The beauty of single columned sequential text"

Now at : http://www.clickz.com/design/write_onl/article.php/896561

A quick comment, the author's key point is :

"The delivery of your key messages, in the right sequence, within a single,
central column of text can work wonders."

In many cases, this probably holds true. But I think it should be rejected
as a general rule, among other reasons, for one pointed to by the author of
the piece : "A single principal column of text makes life easy for the
reader and gives you a great deal more control over the sequence in which
information is delivered to the reader."

Controlling the sequence? Doesn't this rather undermine the benefits offered
by hypertext in the first place? If we wish to deliver propaganda, all well
and good, if we wish to deliver information for the benefit of the reader,
then surely allowing them to control the flow will be the aim.

Cheers,
Danny.

---
Danny Ayers