Re: shocked condolences

In a message dated 9/15/01 5:27:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
michael.pieper@gmd.de writes:

> these crazy brains are definitely out of the borders of our concerns
> about inclusive www-design.

       Maybe not totally. One issue I found interesting was the fact that
many of those who were wheelchair-bound or otherwise disabled were basically
marked to die in the collapse of the WTC towers. Web designers and tech
personnel in general, as well as the firms many work for, are some of the
largest engines of the economy. I believe we could do the world a great
service by pushing not just for an accessible web, but at least escapeable
buildings as well. Does it relate to the www? No, not totally. But I've
tended to take a larger view of technology accessibility than most, I admit.
The web itself being accessible means little if people can't get to someplace
to use it, can't use it safely, or have to put themselves at risk to use it
in otherwise "normal" situations.

       John