Re: announcement:Fw: WEB SITE ACCESSIBILITY eSEMINAR

In a message dated 08/26/2001 6:27:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
amja@optushome.com.au writes:

> And the registration form has inaccessible images (ie. no alt text) to
> indicate the "required" fields - sometimes you just have to laugh!

       ROFLOL. OK, that's just pathetic.:-)

       Then again, it's probably designed for sighted pwoplw who otherwise
don't have a clue about accessibility (EG, FedGov webmasters).

       Y'know what was disturbing, though? Whilst fiddling with a demo copy
of JAWS, I headed over to the Army Digital Training and Doctrine Library
(ADTDL) at www.adtdl.army.mil. It's designed for current soldiers. Training
and such....In other words, not for the general public, and definitely not
the blind. It was close to the most accessible sight I've seen yet. That
scares me. For the record, Army National Guard recruiting has THE most
accessible site among the military/DOD that I've found yet; They speak some
pages by default; Others, nothing.

       Which brings up the question: WHY? These sites are not designed in any
way to have use to those besides those already either in service or qualified
for it. Kinda curious, considering HHS (lead agency for the disabled) had
largely inaccessible sites from what I saw.

       John