Open Source Software

At 5:27 PM -0400 2001/8/20, Access Systems wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Joel Sanda wrote:
>
>>  Mozilla.org has an accessibility coordinator, but I'm unsure of the priority
>>  accessibility has in the development there.
>
>of course Mozilla is open source so like most all open source projects it
>gets only as much attention as the volunteers put into it, if there are
>folks on the dev group that are concerned about access then there is
>likely to be good access, and if there isn't well it is unlikely to be
>there.

Open source projects tend to be [*] notoriously bad when it comes to
usability and accessibility.  Usually they are written by programmers, for
programmers, and there's never anyone with any sort of "QA" or "UI
design requirements" who can enforce those on the rest of the project.

--Kynn

[*] = "tend to be" means "almost always but you can find exceptions"
       so please don't post to describe an exception -- I know that there
       are such things, but the generalization still stands.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison