Re: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering

At 3:37 PM -0400 2001/7/24, Terrie King wrote:
>Charles,
>
>Thanks for your review and discussion of the gif I submitted to the group
>for comment.  I know that I was certainly distracted (not to mention,
>annoyed) by the radar-like movement of the gif.  If I was distracted, I
>can't imagine what some others might be experiencing.

Distraction is not always bad.  Distraction is merely drawing the
user's attention to one specific spot or area, by using motion.  Drawing
the user's attention is _not_ inherently bad, and in many cases it can
function as an aid to accessibility.

Be _very_ wary of blanket judgments such as "distraction" (or even
"annoyance") equating to "inaccessibility."

--Kynn

PS:  I don't think this violates the "flickering" checkpoint, either.
      Flickering and motion aren't the same things.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison