Re: Popular Accessible Sites Request

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:00:21 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 10:14 AM 2001-07-14 , Kelly Ford wrote:
>Hey Davey,
>Can you define what you mean by accessible here?  I know of several
>popular sites that I would classify as very usable from an accessibility
>perspective.  But I doubt any of them would achieve full compliance to the
>WAI or other accessibility guidelines or standards.

I hope the way you rephrased the question, sites usable enough to have
developed a following, is the sense in which Davey asked the question.
This is
the Wall Street definition of accessibility.  What the market will bear;
something where the there is gain enough to outweigh whatever pain you
suffered, so that you _will_ still return again and again.

The market valuation of Internet companies like Yahoo is based in large
on their having gained a following.  So it's good to know there are some sites
that are usable enough to have gained a following among people with

Traffik.com Portals FAQ:

And it does help to know what some of them are, so we can rub designers' noses
in them.  "Here, see?  It can be done."

There's a conundrum that goes with the guidelines.  If a site or page flunks
the guidelines, you can't always find the user for whom it is unusable.
But if
a site or page is unusable, you can generally find the guideline that, had
followed it, the page would be usable.  Go figure.

_Web Content is Intrinsically Semi-Formal Stuff._ (SM)  This is both the
strenth of the Web and the challenge in terms of automating the checking of
Content.   Even reducing the criteria to one line in the sand.

SM: SloganMark.  Anybody who tries to commercialize this with a ServiceMark
registration must recognize there is Prior Art in the Public Domain.