Re: links on white and black background

on 6/7/01 10:07 pm, Kynn Bartlett at kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com wrote:

> At 9:25 PM +0100 2001/7/06, Pat Byrne wrote:
>> You say the answer is to use style sheets - but how should it work for
>> browsers that can't use style sheets? Should I use the font element so that
>> the site looks the same on non-stylesheet browsers, or just not do anything
>> and  have no colored navigation bars? i.e don't set a background color in
>> the table that contains the navigation and just use the default link colors.
>
> It's a hard call -- I try not to tell people what they "should" do on
> matters of style, design and preference.  But I can tell you what I chose
> to do, in this circumstance.
>
> The HWG web site I referred to before (www.hwg.org) uses CSS extensively
> to build a particular look.  However, we still wanted the navigation bars
> to LOOK like navigation bars -- and not just floating text without visual
> structure -- if CSS isn't available.
>
> So the HWG site uses background colors set in HTML -- but they are set
> to a light grey background.  The hope is that it won't interfere too much
> with colors since it's neutralesque.  Take a look at the site in Netscape
> 3 or any browser with the CSS turned off, and you'll see it in action.
>
> That's what we did there.  The Idyll Mountain Internet site generally
> uses semi-redundant HTML markup to set a few things, but we don't go
> out of our way to try to duplicate everything the CSS does in HTML.
>
> --Kynn
Thanks Kynn,

I've had a look at Web site at www.hwg.org with style sheets turned off -
and I can see what you mean. Excellent idea - thoughtful design.

All the best,
Pat

--

Glasgow West End: Pat's Guide: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk

Guide to all that's best in Glasgow's West End: What's On, Eating Out,
Shopping, Flat Hunting, Local Characters, Classified Ads., Community
Pinboard, Art for Sale and Free Photographs to download.

ScotConnect: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/ScotConnect
Quick to load, accessible Web sites - built with the minimum of fuss.

Jim and Pat Byrne