RE: ABBR vs ACRONYM, round 57894174803

At 02:25 PM 2/5/2001 , Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo wrote:
>Both first (WWW and SNCF) they are acronyms

They're initialisms.

>I don't dominate English, like it is evident, but I can assure that in
>Spanish the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym is clear and
>its functions and senses are not interchangeable for what is important that
>these two elements stay.

The difference is clear in ENGLISH, as well, but the HTML 4.01
specification does not use either the English definition or the
Spanish definition.  It make up its own definition, which are:

1.  ABBR - any abbreviated form of a word or words
2.  ACRONYM - any initialism (a subset of "abbreviated forms")

That is the HTML 4.01 definition and natural language definitions
are irrelevant.

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison