RE: HTML validator

[ The right place to talk about the HTML Validator is the   ]
[ www-validator@w3.org mailinglist. I'm CCing there, but    ]
[ leaving WAI-IG in there for those not on the former list. ]

On 04.02.01 at 12:38, Robert Neff <rneff@bbnow.net> wrote:

>Understand the DOCTYPE.  Will go back and run some test cases where web
>pages have DTD's for each version.  But if here is none listed, then I
>think the default is HTML 4.01.  IF there is no DTD, then I would want the
>option to check for the different levels.

The Validator currently uses a default DTD (actually, it uses a default
DOCTYPE IIRC) when the document in question does not specify one. This is
done to avoid confusing people more then necessary; it's hard enough to get
people to validate without throwing extra wrenches in the works.

The option to check against arbitrary DTDs is on the TODO and a patch to
implement it is in the queue, but hasn't been approved and applied to the
live service as of yet. IOW it's in progress and will show up eventually.