Re: Acronyms... With Indistinct Spellings

it pronounces anything pronounceable.  it can get it rong though.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: January 31, 2001 11:16 AM
Subject: Acronyms... With Indistinct Spellings

Regarding acronyms in XHTML...

Acronyms are meant to be pronounced, yes? I was just wondering what
the
default behaviour was for them in screen readers, e.g. faced with:-

     <acronym>EARL</acronym>

Would it attempt to say "earl" or "eee ay ar ell"? If it tries to
pronounce
it (which I believe is correct), then what happens if the acronym
could
have an ambiguous spelling? For example,

[Obviously all of these examples should have titles as well.] Maybe
the
screen reader should spell it out on request, but otherwise pronounce
it...

This has probably been discussed a thousand times before...

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer