Re: Fw: Disturbing trend in tables

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:43:15PM -0800, Charles F. Munat wrote:

> Actually, the BR element is not intended to be used as a spacer. It's a line
> break, forcing a newline at the end of the current line. If you try to use

  You are, of course, correct. I aid the above in what can only be
  described as stupor resulting from an overly large intake of pizza ... ;)

  Anyway; you are right. Multiple BR can without (structural) damage be
  collapsed into one.

> The best way to build web pages, IMO, is to start with the structure of the
> content and code in pure XHTML Strict. Then use CSS to apply formatting.

  Agreed - which is how I do my own stuff. Do as I do, not as I say ;) It
  is not something which can easily be done in comercial ventures, however.
  Even managers who accept the arguments as presented, tend to want to cover
  as many as possible with a (perfect, hah) layout.

  HTML 4.01 Transitional and careful use of CSS 1 does, however, work
  fairly well, and with some careful planning (which should be done
  anyway) it can be both laid out and accessible.

--
 - Tina