Re: QUESTION: use of javascript to comply with Sect 508

David wrote:
> but untill?

If two or more assistive technology exists which provide accessibility to a
given technology, such as GUIs, or Java applications, or JavaScript
enhanced web pages, then there should no longer be a requirements on the
developer to provide a redundant and duplicate alternative - but to ensure
that their technology is accessible [compatible with the supporting
assistive technology].  I guess I could answer your question by asking:
when was it O.K. for GUI window applications developers not to have to
provide a command line equivalent alternative? Wasn't it about the time
there came a couple GUI screen readers that worked?

Please understand that I'm not giving developers "free reign" on
JavaScript, because just as GUI windows applications, Java applications, or
UNIX apps can be very inaccessible with good assistive technology, so can
the use of JavaScript web pages even with supporting assistive technology.
I do think we need some more detailed techniques for JavaScript developers
on what is and isn't compatible, or capable of being supported by good
assistive technologies.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Research Division - Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able