From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Thatcher
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 12:23 PM
To: Kynn Bartlett; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

Kynn,

I assume you would guess that I agree with you 100%. Having worked to bring
realistic web standards into IBM, now I am writing a course on Web
Accessibility for 508 training. This has to be practical. This must be
realistic.

Part of the problem is that the list members and group members so work and
rework the wording that when it comes out the other end, those responsible
for doing something about it can't understand what has been said. In that
process I believe that industry representatives long before the end felt
that they had to withdraw. I hope you will continue to stand strong and
clear.

Like you said, we all share the dream of an accessible web. For some of us,
being practical is much more important, will gain much more for everybody,
than strict interpretation, over-bearing detail and incomprehensible
abstraction.

Jim
jim@jimthatcher.com
Accessibility Consulting