From: "Guy M. Fisher" <guyfisher@email.com>
To: "'David Poehlman'" <poehlman1@home.com>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 12:22 PM
Subject: RE: ALT tag preferences

I agree that <alt> text should convey the function or "message" of the
graphic. The function of a list bullet is to denote an item in the list.
If
we already know that something is an item, then <alt> text for it's
bullet
isn't really necessary and you could just use <alt="">.

Using <alt="--"> or <alt="-"> seems closer to a description of the
bullet
than an explanation of it's function. In addition, to be practical, the
browser or reader would have to translate "--" or "-" as something the
user
would recognize as a list bullet. Mike Scott's testing of JAWS and Home
Page Reader indicates this doesn't happen on reliable basis.

Guy M. Fisher

Cleveland, Ohio
guyfisher@email.com