From: "Aaron Smith" <aaron@gwmicro.com>
To: "Laurie Davis-Covin" <ldavisco@nist.gov>
Cc: "Steven McCaffrey" <SMCCAFFR@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>; <charles@w3.org>;
<poehlman1@home.com>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>; <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>;
<mike@gwmicro.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: 10.4 Re: Checkpoints 10.4 and 10.5

I don't want to get this off topic, but we simply recommend a frames
supporting browser, although our page does read fine in Lynx. The pixels
can be resized in IE when the proper accessibility options are
implemented
(ie. "Ignore font size specified on Web pages").

One of the main reasons that I joined this list to was learn more about
what we, as an Adaptive Technology Company, can do to make our site even
more accessible, not to be bashed because of our current design.

At 02:22 PM 5/31/2001 -0400, Laurie Davis-Covin wrote:
>excuse me, but I have to jump in here.  I just viewed that site with
Lynx.

(http://www.gwmicro.com)

>>At 11:15 AM 5/31/2001 -0400, Steven McCaffrey wrote:
>>>Hello Charles:
>>>
>>>      Good question.  I don't want to generalize, so let me just give
an
>>> example that does work.  The example in section 11.2 of the
>>>HTML Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 works
>>>fine.  I hear
>>>"First name colon edit"
>>>then I hit tab and hear:
>>>"Last name colon edit"
>>>which is fine.
>>>The snipet for the first name is:
>>>
>>>    <LABEL for="firstname">First name: </LABEL>
>>>    <INPUT type="text" id="firstname" tabindex="1">
>>>
>>>Note my comments above are not about grouping form controls which is
the
>>>main point of 11.2.  I am just commenting on the label element.
>>>

>>>Steve

>>>If they have labels (using the label element) does this improve
things?

>>>Charles McCN
>>>
>>>On Thu, 31 May 2001, Steven McCaffrey wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hi Charles:
>>>

>>>        I'm using JFW 3.31.  I will just hear "edit".
>>>
>>>   Steve
>>>
>>>   >>> Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> 05/31/01 08:43AM >>>
>>>   Thanks Steven, Dave.
>>>
>>>   Can you please explain what software you're using, and what
happens?

>>>   cheers
>>>
>>>   Chaals
>>>
>>>   On Thu, 31 May 2001, Steven McCaffrey wrote:
>>>     Hello:
>>>          I agree with David in that it is still an issue.  The
>>> consequence is
>>>     that I will hear only "Edit" but will not know what type of
>>> information is requested.
>>>
>>>     Steve McCaffrey
>>>     Information Technology Services
>>>     NYSED
>>>     >>> "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com> 05/31/01 07:49AM >>>
>>>     it is still an issue although many have solved it.  even though
you
>>> have
>>>     to rub the text out, it is best to have something telling you
where to
>>>     write because some renderings still confuse labels with edit
boxes.

+61
>>>409 134 136
>>>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1
>>>617 258 5999
>>>Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
>>>(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis
Cedex,