From: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
To: "Jamie Mackay" <Jamie.Mackay@cultureandheritage.govt.nz>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: December 19, 2000 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: Is Triple-A possible?

At 05:44 PM 12/19/2000 , Jamie Mackay wrote:
>I was wondering if there is such a thing as an AAA rated site which
uses
>images and for which the CSS code is viewable? I feel the need for
some
>'real world' examples...

My guess, honestly, is "no" because WCAG is so subjective and Triple-A
triply so, which means that while you can _claim_ Triple-A
conformance,
anyone who wishes to can come along and second-guess your claim and
use the "fuzzy language" of WCAG 1.0 -- such as "when appropriate",
"until user agents", "clearest possible", "simplest", "when necessary"
-- to "prove" that you are not compliant according to their
interpretation.

Because of the potential backlash -- and because Triple-A, by
definition,
does not eliminate any additional access barriers beyond Double-A -- I
would never advise anyone to "shoot for" Triple-A web accessibility.

(Then again, I may be the wrong person to answer this, because I feel
that the Single-A, Double-A, Triple-A compliance scheme does not work
at all.)

--Kynn

PS:  I urge you and other list participants to spell out Single-A,
      Double-A, Triple-A, instead of A, AA, and AAA, because it may
      result in some problems on screenreaders or other devices.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/