Re: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

heck, dos is still around and doing well and so is text based unix.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
To: "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: December 19, 2000 8:44 AM
Subject: RE: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

Very clever Kynn, but quite disingenuous.
(1)  CSS is formal and can be validated.  That gives it quite a
measure of
authority and mitigates against its abuse.  (This is also a small
barrier to
its initial use since there is something new to learn.)
(2)  Most of use have seen sites that were inaccessible because of the
use
of <font> and the like.  Can you cite one real-world reference where
valid
CSS was used but the results decreased accessibility?

On a related thread, I would like to argue that support of Netscape
Navigator 3x (and even 2.02) is quite legitimate.  In my last job in
state
government, our typical setup was a Windows 3.11 machine running a 3x
browser.  I have no firm figures, but I would guess that Windows 3.11
is
still not all that uncommon in the schools.  Additionally, if we want
reach out to ecumenically depressed areas, continued support of older
configurations should be a consideration.  All that said, I still
think
validated HTML plus CSS is still the best way to serve these customers
and
modern clients simultaneously.

On
> Behalf Of Kynn Bartlett
[snip]
> 1.  CSS, and its like, if allowed are likely to be misused.
> (decreasing accessibility)
> 2.  If disallowed, CSS, and its like, will be used anyway as that
>      level of the guidelines will be ignored. (decreasing
> accessibility)
[snip]