Re: Over-redundancy of ALT text?

I agree with Dave. In particular, I would make sure that it is clera that the
image and the text are associated by including them in the same link, rather
than having two seperate links to the same place.

cheers

Charles McCN

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, David Woolley wrote:

  > average user as well as one with cognitive disabilities. But under current
  > guidelines, how does one provide meaningful "alt" text for an image that's
  > only there to enhance a nearby text (link)?

  alt="", I would think.  However, before you do this, given that many
  GUI browsers treat alt as "tool-tips", you should make sure that it
  is totally clear that the text duplicates the icon, even if the icon
  image is only displayed as a placeholder.

  If it really is only there to enhance, an nearby really means so near as
  to be obviously part of the same construct, there is no need for a non-empty
  alt string.

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France