Re: Font tag

At 7:05 PM -0800 12/14/00, Amanda Tunison wrote:
>The main thing you accomplish by using the font tag instead of style
>sheets is to force your display preferences on certain users instead
>of making them optional as they are with style sheets.

I disagree, because style sheets aren't yet at the point where the
implementation is up to what they should be either.  E.g., if you
are using Netscape, how exactly does the average user change
her default stylesheet?  If you are using IE, how does the average
user (who can't write her own stylesheet, let's assume) know how
take advantage of IE's superior stylesheet support?

I don't think it's as clear-cut a win for CSS (although I do agree
that <font> is far from an ideal!), and it's also complicated by
the existence of browsers which DO allow you to easily override even
the <font> tag.

--Kynn

PS:  Most web designers use style sheets because they want to
      force their display preferences on users.  It's a fact of
      life that designers ALWAYS want to force presentation
      whenever possible; few (if any) designers make a conscious
      decision to use CSS "because they are optional."  That
      line of thinking doesn't enter their thoughts; instead, CSS
      is viewed as a superior way to do what <font> does, not a
      a more "user-friendly" way.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/