Re: belittling designers, two kinds of accessibility

[...]
nstraints.html>http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-hypertext/hypertext/WWW/M
arkUp/HTMLConstraints.html>

>> user agent that implemented hyperlinks encoded as URI references.  Tim us=
>> ed
>
>I think a more correct description of the design essence was simplicity,
>as quoted in the following:
>
>   for their documents. A few were using SGML. Tim realized that
>   something simpler was needed that would cope with dumb terminals
>   through high end graphical X Windows workstations. HTML was conceived
>   as a very simple solution, and matched with a very simple network
>   protocol HTTP.
>
>Source:
>HTML Home Page
><<http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#historical>http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#historical>

AG::

Good job.  Well researched and well put.

But that's history.  Now the genie is out of the bottle; the essential
value-adding quality of global connectedness has caught the attention of the
world at large.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  The first Web was a sparse plasma
approaching a hard vacuum in terms of the richness of human communication.

Some of ways Tim's initial "running code" was simple may not be sustainable.
The "desires of commercial interests" reflect not just Big Bad Business but a
balancing act between the preferences of both producers and consumers.

Rich media is part of the consensus between them.  We most likely won't be
able
to roll that back.  We can opportunistically jump on the mobile bandwagon,
where there is market pressure to simplify
<<http://www.w3.org/2000/10/DIAWorkshop/>http://www.w3.org/2000/10/DIAWorks
hop/>.  But to be endemic in how the World is Webbing, we need technical
solutions that meet high stylistic fidelity standards as well as high access
standards.

Al