Re: <html> or plain text emails

At 09:37 AM 10/20/2000 , Craig Hadley wrote:
>Part of this program will require sending emails to members referring them
>to specific Web pages. I am familiar with the Guidelines for the Web page
>authorship, but what about the emails? I am unclear as to whether to send
>text based email or <html> based email. What we would like is to have the
>email contain hyperlinks to Web site.

Hypothetically, WCAG should cover this case, but I fear it doesn't.

Email is one of the best areas to offer _two_ (or more) versions of
content:  One in HTML, and one in plaintext.  Users should be given
the choice over which email format to receive.

In general, "modern" email programs will highlight URIs as clickable
links, so you can send links in plaintext without requiring markup.
Older email programs will not do this, but they likewise will rarely
display HTML either.  (So they simply don't have the functionality
to make clickable links.)

Hope this helps.

--Kynn

--