RE: How to convince businesses to be accessible...

I'm a little surprised that no one (especially Kynn) has talked about using
server-side logic to create customized pages based on user preferences. It's
true that many small business web sites are static, but a growing number of
commercial sites use Cold Fusion, ASP, JSP, cgi,php or other server side
technology. It's not a trivial matter, certainly, but it is possible to set
up the site to generate no-image, low-bandwidth, and high-bandwith pages on
demand. With a little additional thought, you can set the system to handle
client-side logic (javascript) where possible or desired (and many people
_do_ want this) and server-side logic where necessary.

Admittedly, it's not a quick-fix solution, but it is a viable option for
well-engineered web sites. And for those that don't have the capability
in-house, something like Edapta is an up-and-coming solution. I'm not
familiar enough with Edapta's functionality, but I suspect that this is the
sort of thing it's designed to do for existing sites.

Reidy

Reidy Brown
Accessibility Coordinator/
Software Engineer