RE: content guidelines checkpoint 3.1

> From:	Steven McCaffrey [SMTP:smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV]
>
> My Statement of my interpretation of the checkpoints was
> no checkpoint is of the form "Thou shalt not do ... ",
> but rather, "If you do ... then you must also provide ..."
> which the above quote from the WCAG 1.0 itself says even more clearly than
> I.
	[DJW:]
	The priority 1 guideline requires that alt text be provided
	for images, However, the priority 2 guideline 3.1 goes beyond
	this and puts, what I would consider a SHOULD level requirement,
	that images not be used for text where there is appropriate
	text markup.  Where the intention is only to get a particular
	font, there is appropriate markup available with CSS, so the
	SHOULD requirement applies at priority 2.

	I would consider trademarks to be graphics in most cases, even
	if they have the appearance of words (although I can think of
	cases where they should be treated as text).

	Any requiremnt that a particular font is the only one acceptable
	rules out even guideline 1.1.  (Marketing departments are often
	very insistent on exact fonts and colours, but copyright may prevent
	the use of that font as anything except a bitmap, and the font
	can be overridden or unsupported.)