RE: How do I use CSS to fake a button?

> From:	Bruce Bailey [SMTP:bbailey@clark.net]
>
> Is there a way to use CSS to make hypertext look like a button?  I know
> how to change the
> appearances of links, but my experimentation has not gotten me anything
> that comes close to
> approximating a "raised three dimensional" look that users have come to
> expect of graphical
> image buttons.

	[DJW:]  This is an area where HTML got it wrong.  There is a button
	element, which does this, but there is no fallback mechanism for
this.
	Moreover IE4 implements is wrongly (it fails to send the value when
	used as a submit button - Lynx gets this right, even though it is
	not graphical!).

	Simulation with CSS doesn't work quite the same as a real button,
	because buttons can remain active after they are released (in
framesets,
	at least).  Also Netscape 4 seems to apply the style to the next
block
	element, typically resulting in a zero sized graphical button below
and
	to the right of the intended button - this is not quite that
predictable.