Re: Tool Tip behavior (was RE: About ABBR)

aloha, bruce!

in the PC environment, i know from testing with sighted and low-vision
users that TITLE takes precedence over ALT as a ToolTip when both are
defined for a graphical hyperlink...  when one mouses over a hyperlink for
which a TITLE has been defined, that, too, is exposed as a ToolTip in MSIE
4x and 5x

JFW 3.5 (the screen-reader produced by henter-joyce, http://www.hj.com/)
allows one to choose whether one wants the hyperlink text spoken, the TITLE
or ALT (with TITLE taking precedence over ALT), or whichever is longest...

the default setting, as described in:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0123.html
is "speak TITLE or ALT"

the removal of ALT text from a site because of ToolTip action, however, is
indefensible, especially since the decision was apparently taken based on a
browser-specific implementation slash exposition...

gregory.

At 10:53 AM 2/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have had recent contact with the administrator of URL:
>http://www.dohistory.org
>
>Incredibly, they removed ALT tags from many places on their site for the
>same reason!  I hope this is NOT a trend!
>
>Does anyone know the circumstances that causes IE to display TITLE versus
>ALT as "tool tips"?  I think the Mac version (4.5) always displays TITLE (if
>both are available) but I am not sure.  Do any of the Windows versions
>_ever_ pop-up TITLE content?
>
>Thanks,
>Bruce Bailey

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>