Re: Frames redux

aloha, again, melinda!

i should have stressed in my earlier response to your request for an
example of what a FRAMESET sounds like when accessed using a screen reader,
that the options that i describe are not only specific to a specific
version of a specific screen reader (JFW 3.5), but are also specific to a
certain browser,.MSIE 4.x or 5.x

i should have also noted that the latest releases of Window-Eyes, which is
manufactured by GW-Micro (http://www.gwmicro.com), also handles FRAMESETS
rather well, at least according to the hardcore W-E users in the visually
impaired computer users' group for which i serve as webmaster and minister
of propaganda...  i don't use W-E regularly enough to comment upon how it
handles FRAMESETS, but perhaps someone else on this list can provide you
with more detailed information concerning how W-E exposes frames to the user...

i should also have included a pointer to a more detailed description of
JFW's HTML Options and default actions -- from which the main part of my
previous emessage was excerpted -- which can be found in the User Agent
Working Group's mail archives, at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0123.html

gregory.

At 12:04 PM 2/16/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Concerning the topic of frames, I should have been more clear. What I really
>need to know about are users "experiences" when encountering frames in a
>website.
>
>The exact question I was asked by our web developer was "Does it read the
>first
>frame in the frameset, then the rest in succession or what?", the it being
>Jaws.
>
>I've used Home Page Reader to go through sites, but wasn't sure if other
>assistive technologies read frames pages in the same fashion. Is that indeed
>the case? It is my understanding that most visually impaired individuals use
>system applications, like Jaws. All you assistive technology users (not just
>the visually impaired), please share your experiences! I want to give a
>designer an informed idea of what comes out on your end. Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>MELINDA MORRIS-BLACK
>Information Architect
>Information Networks of Kansas
>FON: (785) 296-5143
>PCS: (785) 550-7345
>FAX: (785) 296-5563
>melinda@ink.org

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>