RE: Tagging question...

We've had this discussion on the list more than a few times!

The fundamentalists, of course, have the book on their side.  The more
pragmatic among us worry that such a strict literal interpretation, and the
religious fervour demonstrated by those proponents, turns off the
unconverted from the larger cause.

In truth, it is hard to argue that modest accommodation of deprecated
browsers (backwards compatibility) is a bad thing, except that such
compromises can be perceived to help forestall the day of judgment when all
the web, and the tools used therein, will be standards compliant.  Some of
the true believers will admit that this second coming is a long way off, but
even they still author their pages with the expectation that this new age
will happen in their lifetimes.

For my own part, I would much rather see 1000 pages that were WCAG Level-A
compliant than one HTML 4.01 strict (or even XHTML 1.0)!

Something else that's been posted more than once here:  Alan's directions
for getting a decorative rule using HR and CSS.  Presumably this trick works
well for bullets too.
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/hrstyle.html