From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Bruce Bailey
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 4:05 PM
To: Web Accessibility Initiative
Subject: Request for site review

Dear Group,

Please take at look at URL:
http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/
and provide me feedback (on or off the list as you see fit).

Maryland's Online Public Information Network has rolled out a "new and
improved" look to their site.  They are interested in keeping it accessible.
They use a whole bunch of (text-based) onMouseOver JavaScript.  I have asked
them to duplicate the onMouseOver content into onFocus tags, but based on
recent discussion, I don't expect that this currently helps screen readers
much and I know that it does nothing for Lynx users.  So, where do they add
the alternative content?  The SCRIPT definition is in the HEAD and NOSCRIPT
is valid ONLY in BODY!  In Sailor's case, this may not be necessary as the
sub-heading "pop-up" links duplicate those available by following the main
heading links.

(1)  What can Sailor do to improve accessibility.
(2)  Is the site, as is, WCAG P1 compliant or not?  If not, why not?
(3)  Is their a general technique for making such "pop-up" links accessible?
(Or does one just ensure that said URLs are replicated elsewhere?)
--
Sincerely,
Bruce Bailey