Re: College Policies on Accessible Web Page Design

At 02:20 PM 11/22/1999 , Paul Bohman wrote:
>You mentioned the language attribute. Which other checkpoints from Priority
>3 would you recommend as system-wide requirements? I open this question up
>to the group (...keeping in mind that one of my goals is to not instigate a
>major backlash from existing webmasters that would frustrate my efforts).

The ones I feel are most "sensible" as system-wide requirements include:

4.2 Specify the expansion of each abbreviation or acronym in a document
     where it first occurs.
4.3 Identify the primary natural language of a document.
13.5 Provide navigation bars to highlight and give access to the
      navigation mechanism.
13.7 If search functions are provided, enable different types of
      searches for different skill levels and preferences.
14.2 Supplement text with graphic or auditory presentations where they
      will facilitate comprehension of the page.
14.3 Create a style of presentation that is consistent across pages.

These are all either easy to do (relative to the value they provide)
or just common sense rules of web design or writing.  You shouldn't
shy away from making them requirements on your site simply because
they have a the P3 label.