Re: College Policies on Accessible Web Page Design

At 11:25 AM 11/22/1999 , Paul Bohman wrote:
>Utah State University is about to implement a Web Accessibility policy by
>the end of the calendar year. I have been a part of the decision-making
>process in that regard. Our first instinct was to require Priority 1
>accessibility, but after taking a second look at the issues, we decided to
>implement most of Priority 2 as well.

Paul, I'd like to applaud you for a sensible approach to the web
accessibility policy issue -- an accessibility policy needs to be
more than simply "all the p1s" or "all the p1s and p2s" or "all the
checkpoints, period", and instead has to consider each one
individually and arrive at the best solution for your site and your
needs.

Priority 1s are must-haves, but every organization should carefully
consider the P2s and the P3s as well.  Paul, did Utah State look at
any of the P3s?  Some of them are so trivially easy to do (e.g.
LANG="en" on the HTML tag) that doing them is simply a matter of
decent templates, while others involve a greater degree of work.