Re: single browser intranets

David Poehlman wrote:

> add to this the cost of training and the steepnes of the learning
> curve and the free help available for those wishing to effectively
> design and you come up with a financially plausable reason for
> implimentation of an accessible design.

David,

You and Gregory missed my point (it was not a rebuttal). Without an
actual
disabled person employed by the company - The company is not in any "Non
Compliance"!

There does exist an opportunity to help the company become aware of how
they can accommodate people with a wide variety of disabilities.

I would start with descriptive list of disabilities and possible
solutions mitigating
each specific disability. For example, individuals requiring a
wheelchair need to
have doors to their offices/workplace, to eating facilities, and rest
rooms that will
provide access. Does this mean that every door in the entire company
must be immediately
modified? I believe a reasonable approach would be to provide such
modifications, in
non-public areas, as people as employed with such a disability and/or a
prearranged schedule.
Naturally all public areas where non employees might require wheelchair
access would
immediately be commenced.

It is my sense that very often the tone of discussions assumes that the
disability is
associated with a vision problem and hearing, mobility, and cognitive
disabilities are
not included.

For my information might someone just comment on the possible solutions
for individuals who
have vision, hearing, mobility, and cognitive disabilities, that prevent
or discourage
their access of the Internet.

Is one generic solution possible that will assist every individual even
those with multiple
disabilities?

Do individuals with some disabilities require more specific
interventions that
are incompatible with solutions suggested for other disabilities?

What is the impact might these solutions have on individuals who have no
loss of sight, hearing,
motor, or cognitive skills?

Is anyone considering the suitability of a site's content as part of the
accessibility discussion.
For example, does a site dealing with neuclar physics have to be
expressed in language that a
sixth grader can understand rather than be written for a target audience
expected in higher education?

Would the same site need to have its content expressed only as graphics
to accommodate individuals who
have little of no skills communicating in English?

Claude Sweet