Re: Accessibility of Amaya browser/editor

Hi, Gregory and the list!
We come back to the same problem of what proceeds what, design
or features. I don't try in any way to blame the Amaya team, but
try to stress the point that many software producers start to
think about acccessibility when the core of the code was written
out. To completely elliminate the inaccessibility of a browser
would require a lot of changes in the major code, which no one
would agree just for the sake of accessibility. SO perhaps
something like "guidelines for software developers" should be
worked out in order to make programmers aware of the problem. We
already start to feel the ground sliding down under our feet
with new Linux GUI interface.
Best wishes,
Victor

PS If not school, I would perhaps try to contribute something,
but at present, I can only suggest and complain, sorry!!!

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/1999OctDec/0000.html

> quote
> I read the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines and the
> accompanying
> documents. I guess you did a great work.
>
> There is only one point which embarrassed the Amaya team. It's
> the fact that
> the ATAG refuses to consider an authoring tool which generates
> accessible
> information but it's not itself accessible.
>
> You can easily understand that the conformity will be harder
> to obtain for a
> WYSIWYG authoring tool than a simple converter.
>
> After a long internal discussion, the Amaya team finally
> agreed with that
> position, considering that a WYSIWYG authoring tool should be
> compliant with
> the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines too.
>
> The Amaya team will follow authoring tool accessibility
> guidelines. Our plan is
> to process step by step because we don't have the manpower to
> work at the same
> time on the user interface, XML, CSS, I18N, HTTP and
> accessibility. If there is
> a very very urgent thing that we have to introduce in the next
> November Amaya
> release, please let we know.
>
> Regards
>         Irene
> unquote
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that Amaya -- which, by all
> accounts, is a pretty
> incredible tool -- has been built by four individuals working
> in geographic
> isolation...  So, what can you do to accelerate the process?
> Since Amaya is
> open source, you can download the source code and start
> hacking at it
> yourself...  for more information about how you can contribute
> to Amaya's
> development, consult:
>         http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/Overview.html#L113
>
> You can learn more about Amaya in general from the Amaya
> portion of the W3C's
> User Interface Domain:
>         http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
>
> gregory
> He that lives on Hope, dies farting
>      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
> Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
>    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
>         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>

=====
Hi, visit me at:
http://tsarnet.home.ml.org