Copyright and accessible-media transcriptions

At 10:04 PM 10/16/99 -0400, Wayne Crotts wrote:

>In general, U.S. copyright law is particular as to the use of copyright
>material.  Even  converting copyright material to be alternatively
>accessible like converting it to Braille or to audio-tape is prohibited (at
>least as interpreted by our university's legal affairs team).

Point the legal affairs team at the following starting point and I believe
they should be able to give you a better answer:

 Facts: Copyright Law Amendment, 1996
 http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/facts-cop.html

The assistive technology program within your public university should
qualify as an "authorized entity" if I read this FAQ right.

Of course this does _not_ provide an exemption for publishing to the Web
where everyone can get it.

Al