Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

I think you have summarised this thread very neatly. It seems to me that Web
Content Accesibility Guidelines version 1.0 is not being read in a way that
makes the requirement for comprehensibility clear. The first aork item from
this thread, then, is to see whether the best approach is to work on updating
the guidelines, or on better education, or on some other approach.

I have raised this issue in the working group, and it is being actively
considered.

(Web accessibility is about access to the content of the web, regardless of
disability. Blind people could use a graphics tool such as xv to determine
what colour each pixel of each image was. This meets the requirement for
ability to find out what the content is, without meeting any rquirement for
comprehensibility. For people whose disability affects their ability to read
vast slabs of text, there are approaches which can be used to solve their
problems of access too.)

Charles McCN

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Ann Navarro wrote:

  At 11:23 AM 6/11/99 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > that I think it is precisely when you understand the
  >symbolism of Picasso that it is accessible. And the deeper an understanding
  >you have, the more accessible it is.

  >Accessibility is about understanding.

  But we're talking about Web accessibility.

  If accessibility is about understanding, the WAI guidelines need some
  serious additional work, because they provide access to content, not a
  guarantee (nor even the mechanism) that anyone can understand that content.

  Ann

  ---

  Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
  Buy it Online - http://www.webgeek.com/about.html
  Coming this summer! --- Mastering XML

  Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
  Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org