Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

Anne Pemberton wrote:

> At 12:10 PM 6/10/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
> The fact remains that literacy remains a prerequisite for ALL current
> computer operating systems.  There are many good (educational) software
> applications that do not require literacy.  Setting these programs up for
> use by their target audience, however, requires a literate person (probably
> a teacher or parent).  Setting up a computer so that it can be operated
> independently on a day-to-day basis by an illiterate person requires
> sophistication well beyond the average teacher or parent.
>
> Bruce,

Would someone please define the term (computer) "illiterate".

The number of people using a computer today that are familiar with DOS
and write computer code has been impacted by the Macintosh and Windows
Graphical User Interface (GUI) Operating Systems (OS).

We need to search for other terms to denote a computer users ability to
use the computer in a productive manner. Obviously there are basic
skills that are necessary (i.e. Open Files, Save Files, Change
Directories, etc.)

Computer students of any age and ability will be able to acquire skills
if they have frequent access to the equipment so short term memory
skills can be converted to long term memory skills.

I have found that an individual that is provided with templates of files
they can use will quickly be able to produce meaningful work. As their
skills and confidence improve, I introduce the means to modify the
templates. The final step is to have the learner develop a file template
from scratch.

I can't design or develop engineering specifications to build a car.
However, I can drive a car without such skills.

People should expect that computers should be designed with a simple,
easy to understand interface that enhances our use of the equipment
rather than requiring new sets of knowledge prior to beginning to use
the equipment.

Claude Sweet
Educational Technologist
Sweet Enterprises