Re: Fw: QED & Marshall McLuhan

At 11:01 AM 6/8/99 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 10:04 AM 6/8/99 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>

>>Should a web site dedicated to quantum physics start with an explanation
>>that gravity is what makes a ball roll down hill? Should a math site
>>discussing chaos theory take the time to explain how addition works by
>>showing two piles of apples being combined into one?
>
>You have just proven Jonathan's point.

I don't think I have at all -- his assertion, as I read it, is that the W3C
site should explain WAI theory, how to produce CSS, and all it's other
information in so simple a manner that one not need to be able to
understand the language -- or to start at such a remedial level that it
teaches someone how to read along the way.

My assertion is that there is a place for basic learning -- and it's not
necessarily the highly technical site. Nor is the expectation realistic
that for the W3C to be "doing it's job" that it must present highly
technical information so that it can be "digestible", for lack of a better
word, by someone who is illiterate or who has significant cognitive
disabilities.

I wouldn't expect to be able to climb Mt. Everest the first time I go
backpacking....nor would I expect those who run expeditions up that
mountain to provide a way for me to do so.

If his position is something else, the presentation here needs to be refined.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it Online - http://www.webgeek.com/about.html
Coming this summer! --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org