Re: W3C Validator as test for WCAG?

At 07:45 AM 6/3/1999 , Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Can (or should) the W3C validator be used as a mainstream test for basic
>compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines?

No, not completely.

>If one authors a document that meets the following criteria:
>1)  validates as HTML 4.0 (transitional or strict); and
>2)  Does NOT include applets or scripts; and
>3)  Does NOT include video or sounds or other multimedia (images are okay);
>does that document, by definition, meet some level of compliance with WCAG?

No.  What if my ALT text is all "The image description goes here..."?
That passes HTML 4.0 and your requirements above.

Also, I get really worried whenever someone lists accessibility
criteria that include NOT using applets, scripts, video, and
sound.  That sends the WRONG message, said message being "applets
etc are NOT accessible, don't use them!" which translates into
"don't even bother trying to make an accessible page if you want
to use applets etc" which translates into "if you want a cool
page, it can't possibly be accessible!"

The WCAG go in the right direction, "if you use <stuff>, here's
what to do..."

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member