Re: request from a colleague

Bobby doesn't know anything about what is in the image; it has to give you
that warning because this is something it can't tell.

The rules for ALT don't change when LONGDESC is present.  ALT should still
be written to make sure that the job of the image in telling the story of
the page is fulfilled.

For an example see <http://trace.wisc.edu/world/paci/>.  Here the long
description is referenced by a d-link and not the longdesc attribute, but
the implications for ALT text writing are the same.  I expect others on the
list have better examples but it's a holiday weekend...

Al