Re: Builder.Com article on HWG AWARE site

At 01:57 p.m. 04/30/99 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Kynn -- Can you add these points to the AWARE site?  Nice of me to
>volunteer work for you!

Okay, added to my list of stuff to do.

Also, here's another one -- (g), I think -- in the list of
selfish reasons to create an accessible web page:

(g) The Internet we build now will survive, in form or in spirit,
    for the foreseeable future.  As the currently youngish body of
    web authors ages, we too will fall victim to the ravages of
    age -- including decreased vision, hearing, mobility, and
    cognition.  Therefore, the foundations of accessible web
    authoring practices you lay down today could be the key to
    your own continued access in 10, 20, 30, or 40 years.

Also:

(h) Anyone of us could become disabled at any time.  Some
    disabilities are "since birth" but many are the result of
    unplanned circumstances.  Web authors are particularly
    susceptible to loss of ability to type or use a mouse due to
    RSI, but really, anyone could be in a car accident tomorrow.
    Would _you_ want to find yourself not only disabled but
    also unable to use the Internet?

Self-preservation is a good, selfish motive.  Given that most of
us, before we we die, will end up with some manner of disability
for a while, any smart forward-thinking web author will include
accessible authoring practices as part of her standard bag of
tricks.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member