Re: Aie it's HUGE

Is it a matter of choice w.r.t government agencies or does the law require their sites to be accessible?  Or does the law only require information on a site to be made available by some other means (e.g here is a phone number to call to get the information sent to you in an accessible format if  our site (or part of it) is not accessible to you).  I have read a few online  articles on this topic and am still not clear.  If the law itself is not clear on what is required and on the meaning of "accessible", the issue of "how to" won't even come up.

------
Steven McCaffrey
Information Technology Services
NYSED
(518)-473-3453

At 01:07 p.m. 12/07/98 -0500, Chris Kreussling wrote:
>Is the casual or beginning web author interested in learning
>even HTML?

Well, often they are.

>Probably not; they just want to "put up a Web page." They're going
>to use a visual authoring tool. These are the people for whom
>Authoring Tools must *enforce* universal design.

Yes, but tools are not necessarily going to solve every problem.

And today's tools just won't cut it.

I hope you're not suggesting that the answer for newbie web
authors (such as, say, those working on sites for government
agency departments) is "oh, wait a year or so, and hopefully
someone will have made a better tool for you"?

In my experience, the newbies care about accessibility just as
much as the seasoned veterans (which is to say, most don't
think about it, but when they find out, they're usually very
interested); saying that there's no good solution for them at
this time seems to be conceding a battle that we should be
able to win.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California